I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Recipe Thursday {Chipotle Style Chicken Burrito Bowl]



My husband LOVES the restaurant Chipotle. I mean LOVES. When we were in high school, he ate there at least once a week (if not more often). A little while ago he asked if we could try to make Chipotle like burritos at home. I wanted to do it right, so I Googled a recipe for the chicken marinade. You can find the original recipe here, but I did a little modifying. First though, here's a tip I saw on Rachael Ray:
"Puree the chipotle in adobo sauce in a food processor. [Place in] a plastic bag and freeze for another use."
You can then break off the amount you want and don't end up wasting the majority of the can when you only need one pepper for a recipe. I've been doing this for a while, and it works great!


Now on to the recipe!


Ingredients for the marinade:

  • About a teaspoon of your food processed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce 
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (I like to use a red pepper flavored one)
  • 2 good size chicken breasts
Directions:
After combining all your other ingredients, dice your chicken. I like to get it smaller than bit size pieces. As I'm dicing the chicken, I place it in the marinade. Marinate for at least half an hour. I think the shortest time I've marinated the chicken was 1 hour, and it tasted just as good as the time I marinated it for several hours. 

While your chicken is marinating, you can get your other items ready. We like to have the following items with our burritos/burrito bowls
  • Rice with cilantro (just add dried cilantro to your boiling water when you add the rice)
  • Black Beans
  • Cheese
  • Sour Cream
  • Salsa
  • Guacamole or Avocados
  • Tortillas
  • We don't usually do this, but you can also have lettuce.
To cook the chicken, I just pour the chicken (including the marinade) in a skillet to cook on medium. It cooks really quickly, so keep an eye on it. You want to make sure your other ingredients are ready or nearly ready when you start the chicken since it cooks so quickly. Once your chicken is cooked, you can throw your bowls or burritos together. Yum!




Pin It


I'm having a blast at these lovely linking parties.

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! My boyfriend adores Chipotle (and Qdoba) and always gets their burritos. I just try this at-home version!

    Ashley
    theonewhereshedreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let me know if you try them. I really, really like them, and I'm not even a big fan of Chipotle (or Qdoba). :-)

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you will share with us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Chipolte...I'll have to try this! Featuring you! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!