I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

DIY Fabric Bolts {Tutorial}


My fabric was a MESS...
I had all my fabric in these cube organizers:
The problem was that I couldn't see all of it at once, so I'd end up digging through it and creating a mess. At one point it was all folded nicely, but it quickly turned into a case of it just being shoved into the cubes.

Then I saw this: 




Foam posterboard was used to create mini fabric bolts to organize this fabric. Genius! 


I'm all about using what I have, though, and I didn't have any foam posterboard around. So what else do I have a lot of that I could use? Diaper boxes! They're great boxes, so I have a hard time throwing them away. So, I gathered a couple up (I also had a wipes box).
I broke down the box, so I could lay it out flat.
Since I have little hands that would pull fabric off shelves, I decided I still wanted to keep my fabric in the cubes, so I measured the cubes. Then I measured and drew lines on the boxes to create pieces of cardboard that would fit in the cubes. I just used a ruler and a Sharpie to create the lines.
It's at this point that I took a break to run to the store or something, and when I got back to working on the project, the sun was down. Soooo...we're missing a couple pictures here, but I'm sure you can use that imagination. :-)

I cut along the lines I had drawn to create my cardboard pieces.

Then, since I didn't use that pretty foam posterboard, I wrapped each piece in wrapping paper. I did it inside out, so they would all be white. This was more time consuming than I thought, so I stopped here for the night. In the morning the sun came out (yay!), so I was able to take a picture of my hard work the night before:
I should have taken a picture here, but it's pretty easy to explain. I folded each type of fabric, so it was not quite as wide as the cardboard pieces. Then, I attached one end of the fabric to the cardboard with a straight pin, wrapped the fabric until I came to the end, and attached the end to the cardboard with a straight pin. 
I combined smaller pieces of fabric on one cardboard bolt.
Then I put all the bolts in my cube! I actually was able to fit more fabric in a cube than when I was just piling it in there.
I'm so  happy with how they turned out, and it's going to be so much easier to find my fabric now!


Pin It


I'm having a blast at these lovely linking parties.

5 comments:

  1. I love this - and I literally have 5 diaper boxes sitting in my garage right now. And hundreds of pieces of fabric piled up...hmmm...now do I have the time to wrap all that cardboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take a while to wrap the pieces, but you've got to use up those boxes!

      Delete
  2. Such a great idea..I'm going to have to get started on this as my fabric right now is all over the place :) Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Sharing Saturday. hope to see you again this week.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. We just bought a 12 x 24 building that is now my new craft studio. I have all my fabric up in cubes that I can see but I need better organization. I love the idea of wrapping my fabric on the boards. I am going to try this.

    `Mel
    craftymeldesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works great! Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!