I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Birthday Party {Lots of Birthday Party Decorating Ideas}

It's been more than 3 weeks since my last post! Yikes! The time sure flies right on by. Our son's birthday is 2  weeks after Christmas, so I was spending time getting ready for that and just enjoying getting to spend more time with him during the day (more about that in a later post). 

So would you like to see the fruit of my labors? It was a fun party! 
If this was your first time here, please don't be scared by the pictures...I was having a hard time with the lighting.  
Keep reading...the ideas are still good ones. :-)


You're invited to check out the party and here's your invitation!

Yes, there are some details missing...that's on purpose folks :-)
As you can see, dinosaurs were also a part of the party. There wasn't too much going on with them, though, so most of what I share will involve the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme. You may see a dinosaur in one of the pictures though--let me know if you find him! (Hint: it's a stegosaurus)

I made the invitation in Word using the Circle shape for the Mickey heads and clipart for the dinosaurs. The fonts are Mickey and Minnie. You can download them both at the same time.

Decorations
Let's start with the decorations, shall we?

I've been dying to try something like the first picture below:


Creating a number from pictures is such a cute idea! Here's how mine turned out:
I created a huge '3' from poster board and then taped my pictures onto it ahead of time, so all I had to do on the day of the party was hang it up really quick. Simple, fun, and not too expensive if you print your pictures somewhere like Costco.

Instead of the usual crepe paper, I decided to make some of these Paper Ball Chains from Dana at Made.
Source: danamadeit.com via Erin on Pinterest


I didn't even have a large circle punch like she did, and they were still super easy to make. Sadly, I didn't get a descent picture of mine, so enjoy Dana's!

More fun decorating ideas:
Mickey shaped confetti--I happen to have a Mickey Mouse paper punch, so I punched a bunch of confetti out of the same paper I used  for the Paper Ball Chains.

Wrapping paper--use wrapping paper for table runners. I found some cute dinosaur paper at the dollar store. For $4.00 I wrapped my son't gifts, covered a counter and a six foot table and still had some leftover. Not bad! I've seen this idea all over the place, so I can't take credit (see it here and here in particular).

Dollar Store Figurines--If you're lucky, the dollar store (or dollar spot at Target) may have some figurines that go along with your theme. I found some cool dinosaurs at Target for a dollar each and a fun blow up dinosaur at the dollar store. They made fun table decorations, and my little guy has a few new toys on top of it. It's a win-win!

Balloons--They add so much festivity to any occasion. 

Number Shaped Wreath--I'm so, so sad that I didn't get one single picture of the fun "wreath" I made for the front door. What was I thinking? So, you'll just have to imagine it with me. Here's where the idea came from:


Cute, right? I decided to change it up a little, so I cut out poster board in the shape of a '3' (looking back, foam board would work even better). Then I covered the 3 with balloons like above. It was super cute! 


I think that's it when it came to decorations...oh wait! The clubhouse! You probably want to hear about that.

If you've seen Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, then you should recognize this facade. 

It was surprisingly simple to make. You just need some big pieces of cardboard, spray paint, a sharpie, colored duct tape, a staple gun, and few pieces of wood. We managed to get all the cardboard for free and already had everything else but the spray paint, so this project only cost us a few dollars (Wal-mart has cheap cans of spray paint for about a dollar each).

The door actually opened for the kids to go in and out, and we created a fun little play area on the other side. The kids (okay, and some of the adults too) had a blast!

The Food & Desserts
We just did some basic snack type food since the party was in the afternoon but after lunch.

Here are a couple of the recipes we enjoyed:
Homemade Caramels from High Heels & Grills
Chick-Fil-A Chicken Nuggets from The REAL Housewives of Riverton

I just did box cake (gasp!) for the cupcakes, and although I ended up not eating one myself, I heard they were delicious...and so cute!
To tie in the dinosaur theme, some of the cupcakes (not this one) had dinosaur sprinkles. 

Along with the cupcakes, we had what my husband calls Whoville Floats. They are made with Rainbow Sherbet and Sprite. To give you an idea of what they're like you can check out these "Yoda Floats"--they were the closest thing I could find online. Hmmm...maybe that means I should blog about them myself?!?

Well, that just about wraps this party up... 
Oh! Your favors! We made Gingerbread Playdough and Rainbow Crayons (using this method with muffin tins) to send home with the young guests. We threw in some tools for the playdough, a coloring book, and a little stuffed dinosaur to top it off. Those all came from the dollar store or Target dollar spot, so the favor bags didn't cost all that much at all. 

We hope you enjoyed our little party!


Did you find that sneaky dinosaur? Leave me a comment below and let me know!


Looking for more Mickey Party ideas? Check out this post and this post. They're both where I got a lot of my ideas, and they have even more I didn't mention here. 


I'm linking at these great parties:
Mondays: Sweet Sharing Monday |  The Girl Creative | Destination: Cutesy Monday | What's In The Gunny Sack |  Made by you Monday | Make It Yourself Monday | Mop It Up Mondays | Make The Scene Monday | Make It Pretty Monday |
Tuesdays:  Show Me What You Got  |  Tuesday Time Out  | Tasteful Tuesdays |  Too Cute Tuesday | Tuesday's Treasures |  Trendy Tuesday
Wednesdays: Super Link Party |  Show & Share | {Wow Me} Wednesday | From Dream To Reality | Create & Share | What I Whipped Up Wednesday | What We Wore & Made Wednesday | The Creative Spark Wednesdays | Milk & Cuddles | Made By Me Wednesdays | Adorned From Above
Thursday: Pin'Inspirational Thursday Recipe Roundup A Crafty Soiriee | Creative Thursday | Taylor House Thursday | Transformation Thursday | Hookin Up With HoH | Creative Juice Thursday | Live Laugh Linky Thursday | Link Party Thursday | Taking A Time Out Thursday | Eat Make Grow
Fridays: Delicately Constructed Fridays | Flaunt It Friday | Financial Friday Link Up  | Friday Fun Party | Friday Flair | Pity Party | Frugal Friday | Friday Favorites | Weekend Craft Soiree | Weekend Warmth | One Creative Weekend
Saturdays: Strut Your Stuff Saturday | Once Upon A Weekend | Sharing Saturday | Dare To Share Saturday | Craft, Create and Inspire | A Pinteresting Party | Serenity Saturday | Saturday Spotlight | Your Great Idea
Sundays: Nifty Thrifty Sunday | It's Overflowing Sunday Party |  Cooking & Crafts Party

18 comments:

  1. So many fab ideas here - looks brilliant.

    I am hosting a Party Party at Mums Make Lists for birthday party posts, pins and pics would love for you to link up x

    http://mumsmakelists.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/party-planner.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute party! I love the number made out of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a nephew with a birthday coming up soon. He would love this kind of party!

    Tabby

    http://www.shoppingwives.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for the invite! I'll add your party to my list!

      Delete
  5. Very Cute! I've been debating on either MMCH or Toy Story for my twin's 2nd birthday... Love your clubhouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You could always combine them like I did with the dinosaurs. Either way I'm sure they'll love it!

      Delete
  6. Oh my Lordie! How precious! What a great idea. Our boys LOVE Mickey Mouse (who doesn't, right?!) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. This is a great party! Love the number picture collages! We just featured a Firetruck themed birthday party over at our blog and I would love for you to come and check it out. You'll even learn how to make a DIY pinata.
    Thanks so much for sharing,

    Jamie
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great party! I love the Mickey cupcakes! Thanks for linking up to The Weekly Creative.

    Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks super cute! What a fun party! Thank you for sharing at our Pinteresting Party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a fabulous party! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic party!! As a huge Disney fan, I love EVERY last magical detail!! :*) Hope your little guy enjoyed a super fun birthday!! :o)

    ~Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son would looove a life sized Clubhouse! And I spotted the dinosaur (he would love that too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, some great ideas!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, your little man is so cute and the party decorations are amazing! You did a really good job on this. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!