I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Instagram {How To Add A Feed In Blogger}

Notice anything different on my sidebar? Yep. I joined Instagram! I didn't really "get" it before, but I wanted to see the pictures people were posting for #shereadstruth. Seeing the pictures with that tag has been awesome, but I had no idea how cool Instagram is and how much fun I would have with it!

Do you want to learn how to add an Instagram feed to your blog? It's really, really easy. I did a Google search (read this blog post) and looked at Vintage Gwen's feed and found SnapWidget. It's free and there are several of options to customize how your feed is displayed.

First go to SnapWidget's website.

Fill out your information.

Username: that's your Instagram username (i.e. takingtimetocreate)
Hashtag: you could also do a feed of pictures that people have tagged with a certain phrase
Slideshow: choose yes if you want your feed to look something like mine but choose no if you just want still pictures; if you choose no you'll probably want to display more than one picture at a time.
Thumbnail size: this is the size of the picture(s).

  • To determine what thumbnail size you should choose follow these steps:
    • Find out what size your sidebar is (if that's where you're putting the feed)
      • In Blogger you can find the size by going to Template>Customize>Adjust Widths
    • Choose a size that is smaller that will allow the feed to fit inside your sidebar. If you're going to allow padding and a photo border, be sure to allow for that in your size. My sidebar is set at 310 px, so I chose 275 px as my thumbnail size.
Layout: choose how many pictures you'd like to be displayed at once. (if you only want one, fill it out as 1x1)
Photo Border: choose yes or no
Background Color: I think this one is pretty self explanatory. I just left it blank, so it would be transparent.
Photo padding: this is the amount of space between each photo; it's most useful if you're displaying more than one photo at a time.
Hover Effect: effect applied when someone hovers over a photo

Here's a look at how I filled out mine (can you see it? I know it's a little light): 
You can select "Preview" at the bottom to make sure everything looks ok. Then, close that window and click on "Get Code". Select and copy the code in the new window that pops up.

Now we're almost done! Head over to Blogger>Layout. Click to "Add a Gadget" and choose the "HTML/Javascript" gadget (you'll have to scroll down a little to find it). 

Choose a title (or leave it blank). Paste the code in the "Content" box and click "Save".

Drag the "Intagram" box until it's where you want it in your layout. 

Preview the layout if you'd like. Click "Save Arrangement" and then view your blog to make sure it looks right.


That's all folks! I hope these instructions are easy to understand, but if you have ANY questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to help!


If you've joined Instagram, I'd love to follow you. Just let me know where I can find you (in the comments or you can send an email to takingtimetocreate@gmail.com) You can find me here: @takingtimeinthecity. It's just so much fun!






I'm linking at these great parties:
Mondays: Sweet Sharing Monday *  The Girl Creative * Destination: Cutesy Monday * What's In The Gunny Sack * Etcetorize * Made by you Monday*Make It Yourself Monday*
Tuesdays: Riverton Housewives Roundup *  Show Me What You Got * Tuesday Time Out  * Tasteful Tuesdays * 
Wednesdays: Super Link Party * Show & Share * {Wow Me} Wednesday *From Dream To Reality*Create & Share*What I Whipped Up Wednesday*What We Wore & Made Wednesday*The Creative Spark Wednesdays* 
Thursday: Pin'Inspirational Thursday Recipe Roundup *A Crafty Soiriee * Creative Thursday *Taylor House Thursday*Transformation Thursday*Hookin Up With HoH*Creative Juice Thursday*Live Laugh Linky Thursday* Link Party Thursday*
Fridays: Delicately Constructed Fridays * Flaunt It Friday * Financial Friday Link Up  *Friday Fun Party* Friday Flair*Pity Party*Frugal Friday*Friday Favorites*Weekend Craft Soiree*
Saturdays: Strut Your Stuff Saturday * Once Upon A Weekend * Sharing Saturday * Dare To Share Saturday * Craft, Create and Inspire * 
Sundays: Nifty Thrifty Sunday * It's Overflowing Sunday Party  * Cooking & Crafts Party

77 comments:

  1. ooooo.. I'll have to do this later. I just made an about me page, fixed, my icons and fixed my features page. I'm tired today but tomorrow. I'll do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! I just scheduled a post for tomorrow with a link to the widget! Nice! I think I will add in your tutorial too! ;) Thanks for sharing at Trendy Treehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! Perfect tutorial! Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesday. Makes me wish I had an I-phone :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Have to do this in a little while! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thought you had to be a professional to do this! Pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank for the tutorial. I've already added it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the tutorial! I just added it to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erin,
    Great tutorial! I can't wait to add this to my blog. Thanks so much for sharing at Creative Thursday this week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much I have been looking for away to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for posting this! I had been thinking of how nice it would be to share my instagram photos on my blog & now I can!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tip! I will do that!

    Thanks for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! Looking forward to seeing what you link up this evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tip! I may have to do this now. Thanks so much for sharing on Marvelous Mondays! :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is awesome! thank you so much, you made it so easy to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this post!!! I've been trying to figure out how to add an instagram widget for a few weeks! Your quick tutorial made it so easy!! Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! I'm glad it helped. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  16. This post helped me out a lot! Thank you sooo much! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad I found this on Pinterest! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the information! This was wonderful. I followed your steps and now I have instagram on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Erin
    How nice to find you!
    I've just started a blog on blogger and am a total beginner! Ive followed your steps and IG is not showing on my page. In fact I have NOTHING in my sidebar
    When you find a spare minute do you think you might help?
    I'm going to find you on instagram now
    (MY blog is LIttle Golden Nook)
    Sandra
    IG Littlegoldenbook

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks again, I've persisted and thanks to your post I have linked instagram etc. I was using the wrong template. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for this help! I've been meaning to do it on my blog for ages, you're a star :)
    Ibbs
    x x

    http://lalangostaymi.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just found this on Pinterest and did it in 2 minutes. It is usually never that easy! Thanks for the detailed instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for this! I'm new to instagramming but I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is really good!

    mariamhashemi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Question...I am trying to add my instagram to my blog and when I go to snapwidget and preview it, it pops up sorry can not load. I have searched the website to see what might of happened but no such luck. I am consider myself pretty tech savvy so not sure how I can fix this. Do you know what might be wrong? Thanks so much. I love your site and so glad there are directions out there for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria!
      My only guess is that maybe something in the SnapWidget form isn't quite filled out right. Check your username in particular. I hope that helps and that you see this reply. Feel free to email me directly at takingtimetocreate@gmail.com if you still don't have any luck. Thanks for visiting!
      Erin

      Delete
  26. This was really helpful, thank you so much for putting this post together, it helped me a lot. :)

    Lou

    www.thekeypieces.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome! Thank you so much!!!! Great tutorial and very easy to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was very helpful! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the tips!. Just added one :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow it's really work for my page, thank you! :D

    www.mygnails.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I dont understand why it wont show my latest instagram posts on my blog :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked your blog, and it looks like it's working. Hopefully it stays that way!

      Delete
  32. This is a great explanation! Thank you so much :)
    Even I were successful hehe
    Check out my blog if you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This was extremely helpful, thank you very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. thanks so much for the tutorial - success!! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. I simply never thought of doing this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

    I'm on instagram @sherileec

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you so much for this!
    Exactly what I was looking for, great walkthrough!

    fashionisherboyfriend.blogspot.com

    xo, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  38. Found this via Pinterest--thank you so much for creating this easy tutorial--I did it and it couldn't have been easier! THANK YOU!
    Follow me at @crazyloucreations
    Thanks again,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks! I am now able to add Instagram on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a wonderful blog!! This post was so helpful and informative. I let my readers know that I joined Instagram and I will post a link to this page so they can come and read this post if they want the widget. Thanks for the help

    http://diaryofatrendaholic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  41. Erin, How did you add the buttons/links labeled "Connect with Me" (Twitter, FB, and Pinterest)? Also, how did you add the little "pin it" links to all your photos? I haven't updated my blog in like two years and so much has changed, It's overwhelming! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ugh so helpful!! Thank you so much for this post! I'm @jklyles and my blog is http://jenniferlyles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks!! That really was simple with your easy to follow instructions!! Love it!! x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you So much! You just made this take 5 minutes instead of an hour! You are awesome! My Instagram is jensclayroomtemecula

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you sooooo much!!! you made it so easy to do! Love it!!! maybe if you have time you can check it out on my blog! :) http://marinewifeblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you so much! You made it so easy to follow!x

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks! This is such an awesome little touch to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  48. This was so helpful! thank you thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  49. This helped me a lot! thank you so much! x

    ReplyDelete
  50. thank you for this post!!! =) I just add it to my beauty blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thank you so much, super easy with your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. i just found this tutorial, and it worked. except i was wondering if there was a way to make it link to my Instagram account. I've see some blogs with an IG feed where if you click it, it links you to their IG account but this doesn't do that. any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thank you so much for this! I know you said you don't use this blog anymore but, still! Thanks!
    Also, we have the same social media icon set. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  54. Thank you for this! Does it update automatically? I can't see that mine has added the new photos. I chose grid. you can follow me if you like @sailorcalypso on instagram and twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should update automatically. I'm heading over to find you on Instagram now!

      Delete
  55. Thank you so much !!!!!!!
    xx, Victoria
    itisVictoria.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  56. Thanks!

    Http://www.fashionmamaaquarius.com

    ReplyDelete
  57. Great post!

    Love Stacey from www.paintedlips.co.nz xx

    ReplyDelete
  58. Thank you so much... I saw the Instagram feed on another blog and thought, wow, that is cool, I need to figure out how to do that! Such a helpful article! :) http://momriches.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!