I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Keep 'Em Busy: Camping {Scavenger Hunt}

 Last week I shared here and here a few ideas for keeping your kids busy in the car on a road trip. Our road trip was leading us to a camping trip, so I also wanted to have ways to keep my little guy busy when we were just hanging around camp.
 
We actually didn't get to do this while we were camping, but we did it up in the mountains this past weekend. It was fun, and I was surprised how much a 2 1/2 year old could get into it! My mother-in-law and I got into the fun as much as he did, so I'm sure it would be great for kids of all ages. I don't think I dreamed this up on my own;I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere else, but I can't find where!  ***Update***Trish from Mom on Time Out came by and mentioned that she had tried this too. I think her blog is probably where I originally saw it. You should check out her post here. Thanks, Trish!

It's really a simple concept and simple to put together. Paint each section in an egg carton a different color.
I used watercolors and let my little guy paint his own "picture along side me. You can do this ahead of time or bring the paints along on your trip as something else to do.
Go on a scavenger hunt and find things that match all the colors in your egg carton.
It creates a good excuse to go for a walk and get some of that energy out!

Tomorrow, I'm going to share a fun magnetic fishing game as some more camping entertainment. Hope to see you back here then!



I'm linking at these great parties:
Mondays: Sweet Sharing Monday * Get Inspired Monday * The Girl Creative * Destination: Cutesy Monday * What's In The Gunny Sack * Etcetorize * Tuesdays: Riverton Housewives Roundup * Ta-Da Tuesday * Tuesdays Cute Crafts & Cute Parties  * Show Me What You Got * Tuesday Time Out  * Wednesdays: Super Link Party * Show & Share * {Wow Me} Wednesday *From Dream To Reality* Thursday: Pin'Inspirational Thursday Recipe Roundup *A Crafty Soiriee * Creative Thursday *Taylor House Thursday Fridays: Delicately Constructed Fridays * Flaunt It Friday * Financial Friday Link Up  *Friday Fun Party* Saturdays: Strut Your Stuff Saturday * Once Upon A Weekend * Sharing Saturday * Dare To Share Saturday * Craft, Create and Inspire * Sundays: Nifty Thrifty Sunday * It's Overflowing Sunday Party  * Cooking & Crafts Party

13 comments:

  1. What a creative mommy you are! Thanks so much for stopping by Posed Perfection and leaving me a sweet note. I would love to hear if you make the Cowboy Coffee Cake and how it compares to your mom's. Have a blessed week! ~ Nici

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to reinforce teaching colors and learn about nature at the same time!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute idea! My kids love to do scavenger hunts on hikes, so this will be a new take on it for them! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This caught my eye at a link party. Wonderful project! I am pinning this to remember to do when my baby is a little older.

    I am your newest follower and I'd love to have you stop by my blog when you get a chance:
    http://dosmallthingswithlove.blogspot.com

    All the best,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! I'm headed over for a visit now. :-)

      Delete
  5. oh my gosh! Love this! Do you ever run out of amazing ideas? Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is such an awesome idea that I'm featuring it at tonight's Make it Great party! I hope you'll stop by to grab a featured button from the sidebar and link up again~

      Delete
  6. Thanks so very much for sharing this adorable idea at our Pin'inspiration Party. LOVE it so much that you are a feature this week C:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't this fun? I shared this back in May when this activity came out in the Disney Family Fun Magazine. It's such a great activity for the little ones and you can re-use that carton over and over! http://www.momontimeout.com/2012/05/fun-activities-for-family.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it was simple, but this idea of scavenger hunting is kind of new to me. It excites me, actually, for my nephews and nieces. :D This can help sharpen their observation skills. I’m sure no one would want to miss objects that would match the carton sections. Very creative, Erin. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosalinda! It's a lot of fun (even for the adults :-))

      Delete

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!