I've needed to reorganize my coupons for quite some time. I was using the file method, but it quickly turned into the pile method (i.e. you pile all the inserts in one basket and then try to dig through them in search for the right coupon, haha). Yeah, it wasn't working well. I read a couple posts (you can read one of them here) that convinced me that the binder was the way to go. At this point, though, I didn't want to invest in the baseball card holders that a lot of people use (that and I couldn't find them).
Then I remembered a post I had seen about making your own holders. I wish I could refer you to the post! Since I can't, though, I'm including a mini tutorial to make them. I hadn't planned on a tutorial, so please excuse the lack of pictures. It's really easy, so I'm sure you can follow along with the pictures I did take. :-)
Step 1: You start by inserting paper (I used a lighter weight card stock) in your page protector. I printed lines on the paper first, so I could use them as a guide.
Step 2: On your sewing machine, zig zag over the lines to create different sections. I did 9 sections per page, but I remember the other post doing a variation of sections, so they would be different sizes for different sized coupons.
Step 3: Using a very pointy pair of scissors or a seam ripper, cut a line BELOW the horizontal zig zags in between the vertical running zig zags. It should look something like this:
Step 4: Insert your coupons! I've got mine organized in different sections in my binder for different types of coupons (food, household items, cleaners, restaurants, etc).
They work very well! It has been sooo much easier to find my coupons since I've been using this method. I was already buying the page protectors for the Dry Erase Busy Book, so it was relatively inexpensive to make as well. :-)
I'm having a blast at these lovely linking parties.