I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Recipe Thursday

I've been trying to think of a series for the new year. My initial idea was to make a different cookie every week. Sounded yummy, but then I got to thinking that it might be too yummy. I'd also have to eat the cookies (at least a taste, right?), and that would do nothing for my goal of keeping off the baby weight and losing a few more pounds. Last night, though, it came to me! I can still share a recipe every week...just not necessarily cookies every week. Much better. :-) So here is the first of many recipes:


This is a not so healthy, but oh so yummy recipe. It's called Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce over Angel Hair Pasta. Quite the long name, right? I got the recipe from my mom, but I'm not sure where she got it. 
Here's what you'll need:


1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 TBSP butter or margarine
1 TBSP olive oil (I like to use a garlic flavored olive oil)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 4oz jar diced pimentos, drained
1/2-3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (how much cheese you use will affect the thickness of the sauce)
1/4 cup minced fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried)
1/3 tsp pepper
1 tsp cornstarch (optional)
Angel Hair Pasta, cooked (As much as you want, but a whole box would probably cover it)


Here's how to make it:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Get the water boiling for your pasta (it won't take long to cook, but it's a good idea to have your water boiling as this is a fairly fast moving recipe).


I like to cut my chicken into "chicken tender size" pieces. It makes it easier to handle and stretches it a little further. Place the milk and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes. Place your butter and olive oil in a skillet to melt and heat over medium heat.


Dip chicken in milk and then coat with bread crumbs. I like to do this to all of the chicken and then proceed to the next step rather than placing each piece in the skillet after coating with the bread crumbs.


Once all your chicken is coated, brown on both sides in the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Remove and place in preheated oven on a cookie sheet and bake until no longer pink, about 15-20 minutes. When the chicken has about 5-7 minutes left to bake, get your pasta cooking.


To start the sauce: add the broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir to loosen browned bits from bottom of pan. Stir in whipping cream and pimentos, boil and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low. Stir in Parmesan, basil and pepper and cook until heated through. *Optional* Mix cornstarch with extra chicken broth and stir into skillet if needed to thicken sauce.


Once your chicken is done, serve the chicken over the angel hair pasta with the sauce poured over both. You can pair this meal with any veggie and maybe even some garlic bread or breadsticks. Yummy!!


Please let me know if you give it a try or if you have any questions!



I'm having a blast at these lovely linking parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!