I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Spring Wreath {For Around $15}

I have definitely been bitten by the Spring bug. I've got sprouts coming up from the seeds I started (pictures to come of the sprouts), the weather is getting close to Springlike here in Colorado, and we've been doing all kinds of yard work. I wanted to make something to tide me over until my real flowers start blooming. A Spring Wreath was the perfect solution!


I was inspired by the colors in this wreath that I pinned a few weeks back (four according to Pinterest; it's pretty cool how they keep track of that). I wanted to make it anyway, but when I saw the theme for the Pinspired and Rewired Link Party this month, I knew I had to make one (see below for more info on that link party).


I didn't even realize until just now that the original also had a red backdrop! Nice! :-)

I was going to use tulips as well, but when I got the store I decided that daisies would cover more surface. I didn't have to buy quite as many this way. :-) Plus, daisies are near and dear to my heart since they were the flowers we had in our wedding.

Here's what you'll need to make a wreath like mine:
  • 1 straw wreath (I can't remember what size it was, but it wasn't huge and it wasn't the smallest if that helps)-about $4.00
  • 3-4 bunches of daisies-$3.00-$6.00 each-I bought mine when they were half off at Hobby Lobby, so that's how I made this for around $15.00. I only used 3 bunches of daisies, but you could use more.
  • Ribbon-on hand
  • Glue (I used Tacky Glue and hot glue)-on hand
First, I took all the daisies off the stems and trimmed the plastic that the stem goes into to attach it to the flower (what would you call that, anyway?). This allowed the daisies to lay flat on the wreath.

Then I stripped all the leaves off of the plastic stems, so I just had the fabric of the leaves.

Some of the straw will probably come off the wreath, so you may want to cover your work surface.

Using Tacky Glue, I glued the leaves onto the entire wreath. The was part way through the process. 
I tied the ribbon around the wreath to use as a hanger. Nothing fancy, so I didn't take a picture. I just tied it with a loop that wouldn't stick up of the flowers but was big enough to hook onto a nail.

Finally, I started gluing the flowers on the wreath. I started out sort of following a pattern but ended up putting them on kind of randomly as I was filling holes.
That's it! Though it's definitely not a 5-10 minute craft, it's pretty simple to complete.




Another motivation for me to complete this project was the Pinspired and Rewired Link Party going on over at Southern Lovely, Family Even After, Ginger Snap Crafts, and The Gunny Sack. If you haven't heard about it, you should really check it out.



I'm having a blast at these lovely linking parties. 

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I love the colors...very springy! Thanks for sharing this at Cutesy Monday!

    Kathryn
    destinationcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!